Albert Street fire prompts winter heating warning from Warragul CFA
 Baw Baw News   By // 17:09, Monday 21 April 2014

albert street warragul fire via cfa

FIREFIGHTERS from across Gippsland prevented a large house fire in Warragul from spreading to neighbouring buildings on Saturday morning.

Above: the house fully alight. Image supplied by the Warragul Fire Brigade.

Crews from the Warragul and Drouin fire brigades were alerted to the blaze on Albert Street shortly after 12.30am on Saturday, arriving to find flames coming out of the windows and roof of the building and threatening two neighbouring houses.


A number of firefighters entered the building to check if anyone was inside and to attack the fire, while others fought the fire from outside and prevented it from spreading further.

Traralgon Breathing Apparatus Support also attended the scene, refilling an estimated 16 cylinders of air used by firefighters during the operation.

Significant damage was done to the floor, ceiling, internal walls and external structure of the house.

A Warragul CFA spokesperson said in a media release the fire was probably caused by a log rolling out of an unattended open fireplace and warned residents to remain alert to the risks of heaters and fireplaces.


“Warragul Fire Brigade would like to remind residents that the lead up to winter is a great time to check your heaters,” the spokesperson said.

“Clean out flues and make sure you have all the right equipment if you have an open fireplace.

“Get your gas heater serviced at least once every two years and, as always, ensure you have a working smoke alarm.”

You can follow the Warragul Fire Brigade on Twitter and Facebook.

 Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen 

 Read more Baw Baw News