Play equipment burned at Warragul’s Burke Street Park
Baw Baw News By William PJ Kulich // 16:45, Friday 24 November 2017
Vandals have burned play equipment at Warragul’s Burke Street Park, and council staff are unsure if it can be repaired.
A piece of equipment called an activity net was severely damaged by the fire, and appears to have been specifically targeted.
Police and fire crews responded to the incident and the now-unsafe net has been fenced off while damage is assessed.
“Council is currently chasing up to see whether it can be repaired or if it will have to be replaced,” a Baw Baw Shire spokesperson spokesperson told the Baw Baw Citizen.
“Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the police on 5622 7111.”
The incident is not the first time fire has damaged play equipment at the park. In 2013 a “sparkler bomb” consisting of between 100 and 300 sparklers set a plastic slide alight, damaging it beyond repair.
Image: the aftermath of the 2013 fire. Source: author.
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News