Regular SES funding from Baw Baw to end in two years
Baw Baw News By William PJ Kulich // 21:29, Monday 17 September 2012
WARRAGUL and Erica SES units will lose regular funding from the Baw Baw Shire Council over the next two years.
Councillors voted to end Baw Baw’s co-contribution agreement with the State Government last week.
Councillor Tony Wolfe said the council was phasing out funding rather than cutting ties suddenly, and no similar authorities receive a council co-contribution.
“This is a recommendation that puts the SES in line with other authorities that come under state funding,” Cr Wolfe said.
[[Stay updated with The Warragul Citizen: Via email(recommended). Via Facebook.]]
The Baw Baw Shire Council presently matches the State Government’s State Operating Grant to the SES on top of other financial contributions.
The rate of co-contribution will decrease to 50 per cent this financial year, halving again next financial year before ceasing in the 2014-2015 financial year.
The co-contribution was established in a 1989 agreement between the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) and the SES.
The MAV now says the agreement is no longer binding as VicSES was made a statutory authority in 2005.
A report to councillors said while Baw Baw appreciates the work of local SES units, the funding “is neither appropriate nor sustainable” and “limits Council’s ability to directly fund [its] own municipal emergency management program.”
Stay updated with The Warragul Citizen: Via email(recommended). Via Facebook.
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News