Severe thunderstorm warning for Baw Baw
Baw Baw News
By Baw Baw Citizen Staff // 18:13, Saturday 25 November 2017
Baw Baw has been included in a severe thunderstorm warning covering almost half of the state.
Image: an updated map of the warning area from the BoM. Article updated: 6.46pm.
The warning below is from the Bureau of Meteorology, issued at 5.26pm today. Click here for the latest warnings.
“Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones over the next several hours in the East Gippsland, South West, West and South Gippsland and parts of the Central, North Central, North East and Wimmera districts. Locations which may be affected include Warrnambool, Melbourne, Traralgon, Moe, Bairnsdale and Orbost.
“Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Northern Country and North East districts. Locations which may be affected include Shepparton, Euroa, Yarrawonga, Wodonga, Wangaratta and Mansfield.
“Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Mallee district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
“The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep clear of fallen power lines.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don’t drive, ride or walk through flood water.
- Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
- Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
- Stay indoors if possible.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
- Listen to the radio for storm updates
- Switch off your computer and electrical appliances
“The next warning is due to be issued by 8:30 pm.
“At 5:26 pm Saturday, 25 November 2017 a separate, more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning was current for the Melbourne Area.”
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News