Severe thunderstorm warning for much of Gippsland
Baw Baw News By Baw Baw Citizen writers // 16:02, Sunday 30 November 2014
A severe thunderstorm warning for damaging wind, heavy rainfall and large hailstones has been issued by the Bureau of Meteorology.
The below is from the BoM. For up-to-date information click here.
For people in the East Gippsland, North East, West and South Gippsland and parts of the North Central Forecast Districts.
Issued at 3:43 pm Sunday, 30 November 2014.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:45 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News