Smoke alarm averts possible death in Warragul house fire
Baw Baw News By William PJ Kulich // 01:25, Friday 16 March 2012
A smoke alarm saved the life of an elderly Warragul woman when fire broke out in her kitchen as she slept, the Warragul Fire Brigade says.
Warragul and Drouin Fire Brigades were called to a house in Ista Street, Warragul, at around 10PM Wednesday after neighbours heard a smoke alarm sounding and called 000.
The woman awoke at around the time fire crews arrived at the scene and left the building with the assistance of neighbours. She was treated for smoke inhalation on site by fire fighters until an ambulance arrived.
Fire crews also entered the building to rescue two pet dogs.
The fire was caused by a pot on the stove catching alight, which spread to the range hood and kitchen cupboards.
Fire crews prevented the blaze from engulfing the entire kitchen.
Incident Controller Lieutenant Ian Ronalds said the situation could have been much worse, praising the actions of the woman’s neighbours.
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News