Thunderstorm and asthma warning for parts of Baw Baw
Baw Baw News
By Baw Baw Citizen Staff // 17:08, Tuesday 20 November 2018
Parts of Baw Baw have been included in a severe thunderstorm warning issued today, and the entire region has been given a moderate epidemic thunderstorm asthma forecast.
Please note: this information was correct at time of publishing. Visit the BoM website for the latest.
Updated 17:20 with asthma info.
The Bureau of Meteorology released the warning area map above, saying “severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, large hailstones and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours.”
“A 94 km/h gust was recorded at Bendigo earlier this afternoon.
“The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- “Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
- “Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- “Keep clear of fallen power lines.
- “Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- “Don’t drive, ride or walk through flood water.
- “Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
- “Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
- “Stay indoors if possible.
- “Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- “If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
- “Listen to the radio for storm updates
- “Switch off your computer and electrical appliances
“The next warning is due to be issued by 7:25 pm.”
West and South Gippsland has also been given a moderate thunderstorm asthma forecast, which the state health department says means “one of the elements necessary for an event may be present (i.e. a high pollen count or a severe thunderstorm storm).”
“Forecasts are not a formal ‘warning’ and do not mean an epidemic thunderstorm asthma event is certain to occur, rather they are designed to inform people at risk that they should be prepared.”
You can find out more about what the forecast means and how to address it by clicking here.
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News