Council backs Warragul North Primary's classroom campaign
Baw Baw News
By William PJ Kulich // 14:04, Tuesday 2 September 2014
BAW Baw councillors have thrown their support behind a campaign run by Warragul North Primary School community members to retain a portable school building marked for removal by the state government.
Above: a banner on a fence at Warragul North Primary promoting the campaign.
The school was informed last month that the building, which houses two classrooms, was to be removed in the near future.
A group of concerned people formed to campaign against the removal, creating a petition asking that the building be left as-is and a Facebook page to promote their cause.
At a council meeting last Wednesday Mount Worth ward councillor Peter Kostos moved a motion calling on the council to get behind the school and write a letter to Premier of Victoria Denis Napthine and Education minister Martin Dixon calling for the building to be left where it was.
Cr Kostos said Baw Baw was experiencing unprecedented growth with a rising birth rate and removing the building would be short-sighted.
“There’s going to be an increase [in students] pretty soon, in my opinion, [given] there’s been a lot of houses built in this area by young families,” Cr Kostos said.
“A lot of our growth area has been to the north of Warragul.”
The letter to the minister will also raise the lack of kindergarten places available in the region.
Members of the group have used the example of Crib Point Primary School’s successful petition to retain one of its portable buildings as proof WNPS’s campaign could be effective.
The motion was supported unanimously by councillors present.
Get free email updates from the Baw Baw Citizen
Read more Baw Baw News